Re: GNOME Sound Server, was Re: GNOME sounds - which component

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Pardon me if I misunderstand you, but I think you are suggesting we write
> a new sound server that sends its output to esd.

Well, isn't this. I'm suggesting that the new sound server can accept and
understand conexion of applications that use the 'old' esd style, will be
a backward compability option. And this option can be implemented as a
plugin for the new sound server.

> This will effectively limit the functionality of the new sound server to
> what esd can provide, which is exactly what we're trying to break free
> from. The new sound server will need to talk directly to the hardware to
> be able to do its job right, so while we will definitely support a wide
> variety of hardware via a plugin interface, esound support won't be on the
> list of supportable hardware.

Yes, support a variety of hardware via plugin interface was what I'm
suggesting.

   -augusto