Re: GNOME Sound Server, was Re: GNOME sounds - which component

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Augusto Cesar Radtke wrote:

> > They will be given the option of not doing so. We will support the esound
> > API with a wrapper.
>
> My idea was, each sound API (ALSA, OSS, others os?) is a plugin for new
> sound server, and the esound wrapper can be a plugin too.

Pardon me if I misunderstand you, but I think you are suggesting we write
a new sound server that sends its output to esd.

This will effectively limit the functionality of the new sound server to
what esd can provide, which is exactly what we're trying to break free
from. The new sound server will need to talk directly to the hardware to
be able to do its job right, so while we will definitely support a wide
variety of hardware via a plugin interface, esound support won't be on the
list of supportable hardware.

The right way to provide esd backwards compatibility is to implement the
libesd API on top of the new server, not to implement the new sound server
on top of the libesd API.
-- Elliot