select( ) ?

I'm attempting(unsuccessfully) to make a GTK+/GNOME plugin for Licq.  The plugin is supposed to read( ) a file descriptor(the pipe) to find out if there is a Signal or Event from the daemon.  My question is: How do I have GNOME monitor the pipe and call a callback(which will read( ) it) when it changes?  Do I do something with select( )?  The Qt Plugin uses a QSocketNotifier, does GTK+ or GNOME have something like this?  Source code examples would be very welcome.  Also, is there a way to have a function executed once per cycle of the main gtk loop?  Thank you

--Halfline