GNOME_CORE_API_ONLY

Hi,

I propose that in future 1.0.x/2.0 gnome-libs releases we allow users to
define a debugging symbol GNOME_CORE_API_ONLY. With this defined,
declarations for strongly deprecated or experimental features will not
appear in the gnome-libs headers.

For example, in libgnomeui.h we might have:

#ifndef GNOME_CORE_API_ONLY
#include "gtk-ted.h"
#endif

because GtkTed is deprecated, or in gnome-canvas.h we might have:

#ifndef GNOME_CORE_API_ONLY
GnomeCanvas* gnome_canvas_new_aa();
#endif

because the AA canvas is experimental.

The purpose of this is to allow people to easily "clean" their apps and be
sure they are only using the stable, debugged, non-deprecated features.

This is intended for debugging only, so we don't commit to source compat
with this turned on - the whole point is that it *isn't* source compatible
so you can detect the bad features you're using.

Does it sound like a nice feature to have? If so I'll implement it
in the near future. But I may have overlooked some problems.

Havoc