Re: GNOME plans (--> mail clients)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 07:13:30 Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Peter Williams wrote:
> > goal to at least start organizing these different mailers into one with
> > some basic form of functionality? I realize I don't have much authority
> > telling some amazing hackers what to do, but I haven't seen much
> > organization towards this goal... thanks for reading this dense
> > paragraph :-)
> >

> All the core hackers agree with you in principle, but it's up to the mail
> client authors to actually do this.

Don't take me bad, but we don't need organizators, we need coders. I'm the
author of email-client-wannabe named Glacier. I started working on my
own project because I feel that Gnome needs simple client for average
user. Sure, gnome-mailer is honest idea but IMHO it is overkill for joe-user.
On the other side Joe-user doesn't want to install that library and this package and setup
fetchmail, procmail and other things. He just want to start app, fetch all
his e-mail and get his emails sorted by some SIMPLE criteria. Then he wants
to send them and close his e-mail app. Average user often judge application
by its look and not by amount of cryptic features he dosn't understand.

I feel that email killer-app for Gnome should be:

- good looking (design and look is VERY important)
- simple and easy to use
- self-contained (it should not depend on fetchmail, procmail and others)
- secure (support for GPG/PGP is simple MUST, support for POP/IMAP over SSL or
  SASL would be nice too)

So if you know GNOME e-mail client that is aimed to match these goals, I'll drop
Glacier and start contribute to THAT project. If you want help just stop talking
and lend a hand to existing projects. Personally I would appreciate any help
with Glacier but there're also other projects where you can contribute.

If my posting looks offensive it is due my poor english :)

slon!