Re: GNOME WM Hints Spec Revision

Nathan Clemons <nathan@windsofstorm.net> writes:

> I'll be drawing up an outline of thoughts this weekend and mailing it out
> for comments and review. Here's something quick to ponder on...
>
> _GNOME_WM_COMPLIANT
> _GNU_WM_COMPLIANT
> _GNU_WMHINTS_COMPLIANT
> _WMHINTS_COMPLIANT
>
> If there are projects outside of GNOME that will be using these specs as
> well, let's not use the former style of hint definitions. Does anyone else
> have other hint style recommendations?

Currently, the GNOME window manager hints are in the namespace:

 _WIN_*

I would recommend staying with this if at all possible -
why occupy another prefix as well as the current one?

In any case, the prefix should be one word (not _GNU_WM
or _GNU_WMHINTS) and should avoid definitely GNOME
and probably GNU if we want it to become a common
standard.

Regards,
                                        Owen