Re: libgnomeui and argp_program_version

Vladimiro Sassone <vs@cs.unict.it> writes:
>       I've installed the latest gnome debian packages on my machine
> (pentium II, linux/debian, kernel 2.0.36). When I try to start gnome,
> e.g., with panel, I get:
>
>  > panel: error in loading shared libraries
>  > /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.0: undefined symbol: argp_program_version
>
> Of course the wrong library. I have
>
> /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.0  ==> libgnomeui.so.0.30.0
>
> and
>
> /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so    ==> libgnomeui.so.31.3.0
>
> I've tried to link libgnomeui.so.0 to libgnomeui.so, but it didn't help.
>
> Any quick fix?

Ewww.  That's bad.  Someone didn't bump the so-version of
libgnomesupport.  Sorry, no quick fix that I can think of.

> PS. With respect to Debian packages I have
>     libgnome0  version 0.30.1-5
>     libgnome31 version 0.99.4-2

I would suggest that you uninstall `libgnome0' if you can.  If there are
applications that depend on it, please ask the Debian package
maintainers to upgrade those to the newer libraries -- and in the
meantime you can just as well uninstall them (or at least de-configure
them so that libgnome0 can be uninstalled).

- Hari