Re: Window Manager compliance

Try www.gnome.org/devel/gnomewm/book1.html.

>	Okay, enough complaining, sorry.  I just installed Redhat 6.0 and
>am playing with the Enlightenment configuration options (under the default
>Gnome desktop).  I am having some problems between E and the Gnome Control
>Center in regards to setting the background.
>
>	For example: Set a new background in the Control Center.  Then,
>set a new background in E (with the E configuration tool).  Now exit and
>come back into Gnome.  Or better yet, use the Gnome Terminal with a
>background setting of "Transparent" after setting the background in E.
>Things don't quite work.

The solution is to use E's background selector and disable background
selection in the Control Center.

>	I would like to suggest that part of Gnome Window Manager
>compliance is abandoning Background settings and screen savers to the
>Gnome Control Center.  So when you click on "Run Configuration Tool for
>Enlightenment" the options for setting the Background disappear (if you
>are running under Gnome).  Comments?

I think it makes a lot of sense for Gnome to control the desktop settings,
and I suspect it would simplify gmc's job of handling the desktop if it
could use a large canvas widget with a pixmap background to draw the
desktop, and handle DnD, icons, selection boxes etc in the same way as any
other gmc window, passing on any unwanted mouse clicks on the background to
the "real" root window so that the window manager could receive them. (This
would also remove the need for window managers to proxy unwanted root window
clicks, although that is only a ten-line hack.)

I doubt this is going to happen, because it would require too much re-coding
for a small reward in terms if tidiness. In my opinion this sort of thing
should have been in the Gnome window manager spec from the start, but it was
written by Rasterman, and you can forgive him for leaving E's best features
intact.:)

Michael Rogers

Strike me down. I am unarmed.