Re: Window Manager compliance

>On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 03:13:05AM -0700, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
>
> > 	I would like to suggest that part of Gnome Window Manager
> > compliance is abandoning Background settings and screen savers to the
> > Gnome Control Center.  So when you click on "Run Configuration Tool for
> > Enlightenment" the options for setting the Background disappear (if you
> > are running under Gnome).  Comments?
>Nonono, lets not do that. WM's have been handling backgrounds all
>along, and they're doing a good job at it. Let's just kill the
>background settings in gnome.

Two problems:

1) Some window managers don't handle setting the background (which is why
Gnome has that capability in the first place).

2) A new user would (reasonably) expect the background to be configured in
the same place that other desktop settings are configured.

We need to move away from X-oriented window managers which duplicate Gnome
functionality, towards Gnome-oriented window managers which are small and
unobtrusive. This will happen, since new window managers are being written
specifically with Gnome or KDE in mind, but it will happen more smoothly if
the line between "window manager tasks" and "desktop tasks" is clearly
defined.

Michael Rogers