Re: Coming proposal (was: Window Manager compliance)

> > 	I believe the background, screensaver, desktop event sounds, etc.
> > should be handled by Gnome.
> >
><snip>
> > 10) File Management  (we should enforce the use of gmc)
>No!  gmc crashes constantly for me!  Don't know why!
>Of course, this is temporary I'm sure...but "we should enforce the use of"
>makes me nervous anyway.

I was hoping that the desktop manager half of gmc and the file manager half
of gmc would be separated at some point in the future, with the desktop and
session manager being the only "required" part of Gnome. Any thoughts on
whether this would be possible/desirable?

><snip>
> > disagree with this idea (and why)?
>

>I wouldn't disagree, per se, except to caution that anything that the
>window manager is *required* to turn off for gnome should be able to be
>turned back on by the user.  Why?  Sometimes, the WM simply does a better
>job than gnome, and a user who knows they're doing won't want to be
>restricted by requirements like that.  For example, E allows different
>desktop backgrounds for each virtual desktop, something which the Gnome
>control panel doesn't do (as far as I know).

If Gnome had exclusive control of the background, it would be worth adding
this functionality. There's no point adding it until then because you have
to disable Gnome background selection if you're using multiple desktops -
it's a chicken and egg problem.

Michael Rogers