Re: OFF-TOPIC: Here we go again

At 07:12 AM 5/21/99 Friday, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

>    Gnome developers,
>	I happen to also be subscribed to one of the KDE mailing lists,
>and this recently came acrossed it.
>
>	Not that we don't all have better things to do, but if you feel
>the need, go vote for your favorite environment (Gnome, right?).

Not really.  I use a lot of gnome-applications, because they often have
a nicer outfit and more functionality than comparable KDE-applications
(which is of course not true for all).  But the KDE as desktop-environment
is much more stable and handier to use than Gnome itself (regardless
if used with Enltmt or Windowmaker).  Therefore I try to use the best of
both worlds.  However, i have the opinion, that instead of wasting their
energy in flame-wars against each other and developing the same applications
two times more or less efficiently, it would be A LOT better if both worlds
Gnome and KDE would find a way to combine their development efforts.
  A start could be for example to make kwm gnome-aware (as one recently
recommended on a kde-list).  A combined effort would be a big push forward
for the entire Linux-community.
My 2c, Herbert

PS: Make love, not war (John Lennon)
  Herbert Szumovski, SE          Direct Line    :  +43-1-24030-6217
  Cisco Systems Ges.m.b.H.       Fax            :  +43-1-24030-6300
  Millennium Tower               Cellular & VMbx:  +43-664-101-7854
  Handelskai 94-96               Web: http://www.cisco.com/
  A-1200 Vienna                  Austrian site:
  A U S T R I A                  http://www.cisco.com/at/