Applet background with panel pixmaps

I'm working on the gnome-pilot applet and trying to make the area
around our pixmap fully merge into the panel, however it's set.
That's easy to do until the user starts setting background colors or
pixmaps in the panel.

Upon consulting the printer applet, I discovered the back_change
signal.  That works well for panel bg colors, but if you use a
background pixmap, the pixmap of the applet won't match up with the
pixmap in the panel.  No good.  You can see this problem as well in
the printer applet, just set a background panel pixmap.

So, is there any way to fix this?

Death has been proven to be 99% fatal in laboratory rats.