Re: Gdk-pixbuf savers?

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, George wrote:

> I have to agree with Federico here. Unless the image libs itnerface is
> sufficently braindead or hard to use it really doesn't help anything to have
> an extremely thin wrapper that does absolutely no abstraction except for
> having all the names begin with gdk_pixbuf_.  If saving does require all
> kinds of weird code that can be done in gdk_pixbuf then it should be there.
> If the saving function are just gonna call an image library saving function
> with the same exact arguments, then it makes no sense to have these
> functions.

A cheesy PNG saver that didn't take any parameters (just saved in RGB or
RGBA, raw data basically) would be convenient (using libpng directly is a
lot of docs to read), plus save people I'd guess 40-50 lines of
hard-to-write error-prone code. Also it would keep libpng dynamically
loaded, instead of requiring a link at startup.

I don't see any point in a full-featured save interface either though, it
should just be good enough for something like gnome-iconedit or screen
shots, then you can use a real application (such as Gimp or EOG) to
convert to other formats.

Havoc