Re: Gdk-pixbuf savers?

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 04:18:05PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >  For the majority of the people who just want to output RGB[A] data into
> >  a compressed image format, none of that matters.  They are free to call
> >  the low level libraries specific to their image format if they choose, but
> >  that would mean learning a different API for EVERY single image format.
> >
> >  With a simplified saving API which has documented named arguments they just
> >  have to learn it once and not worry about all the image format
> >  libraries.
>
> The problem with that is that your list of named arguments will mimic
> all the crap that image formats support.
>
>   Federico

I have to agree with Federico here. Unless the image libs itnerface is
sufficently braindead or hard to use it really doesn't help anything to have
an extremely thin wrapper that does absolutely no abstraction except for
having all the names begin with gdk_pixbuf_.  If saving does require all
kinds of weird code that can be done in gdk_pixbuf then it should be there.
If the saving function are just gonna call an image library saving function
with the same exact arguments, then it makes no sense to have these
functions.

George