Re: threaded network

> I looked at adns and it seems cool. However, I see some problems in
> integrating it with (for example) glib.

Certainly!  It should probably be inside of gnome-libs.
glib is for pure, clean, algorithmic-type code.  um, except gdate :)

But it could easily see it being a replacement for
gnome-libs/libgnomeui/gnome-dns.[ch] (which probably shouldn't be
in `ui', and is flagged as deprecated).  (I don't like the
current implementation b/c it relies on dns-helper... a separate
program to resolve dns?  blah)

There are pros and cons with depending on/using gnome for this...

> 1) I think current glib guidelines include thread safety and Win32
> porting. It doesn't seem adns is thread safe, but I could learn glib's
> mutexex, etc. and protect every adns call with them. Moreover, I don't
> know Win32 (and I'm not going to learn it) so Win32 porting doesn't seem
> so important for now... (at least to me)

The adns library could be wrapped by a mutex.

> 3) (the most important) adns license is GNU GPL. Glib's one (like GTK+,
> GNOME, etc.) is GNU LGPL. I think this means we cannot link to adns from
> glib nor GTK+,etc. please prove me wrong ...

Yeah, although I wouldn't be shocked if the author was willing
to LGPL it for this purpose.  However, it could probably be
arranged favorably if it could serve as a merely GPL'd
drop-in replacement for gnome-dns.c.

- Dave