Re: gtk & threads

Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> > I see. Question. How difficult would it be to modify all the gtk/gdk
> > functions to do it themselves, and have the callbacks spawn off the
> > function they call in a new thread? If it is not too dificult, just time
> > consuming, I would be willing to give it a stab.
>
> Ouch. This would be a big job. I also think you will meet much
> resistance from people who don't use threads, who would then inherit
> their overhead (however large or small) from the gtk functions.

Just a question.  Is it necessary to directly modify gtk/gdk/glib to
add threading support to them?  I have no experience with using
threads, so I don't know for sure, but can't this be done with macros
or small functions that wrap around the functions in the libraries?
The wrappers would handle thread locking and call the library function
to do the actual work.

Regards,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co