Re:Why the size of the title bar, was Re: How do I compute the sizeof the title bar?

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Daniel M. German wrote:
> gnome_parse_geometry is the responsible for parsing the geometry.
> But it is incomplete. It does not understand that negative locations
> are meaningful neither that -0 <> +0.
>
> gnome_parse_geometry is easy to fix, since it is a relatively simple
> routine. Furthermore, it can fallback into XParseGeometry. So far, so
> good.

Why don't we just use XParseGeometry() in there, or wrap it in Gdk?
(I seem to recall an answer to this question, but I don't remember what it
was.)

> In fact, I believe that the application code should not even have to
> parse the geometry. That is why sooo many gnome applications ignore
> geometry, lets try some apps:

The app has to apply the geometry because sometimes it means characters or
something (Emacs, gnome-terminal) and only the app knows which window it
applies to.

At best the library could have a --geometry option and we would then have
gnome_get_geometry() but this isn't that convenient and I suspect it would
be broken for some apps, such as [c]applets. Plus it's not backward
compatible.

So, I think fixing gnome_parse_geometry is probably the best thing to do
for now, and file bug reports on apps that don't support the argument.

Havoc