Side-by-side documents

Well, actually we have to try different things, and ideas are welcome !
Here's the goal : say you have 3 or 4 documents open, we would like an
easy way for the user to be able to have any 2 of the 4 documents
side-by-side, and change the documents displayed quickly.

Notebook-style is great to change the displayed document, but having 2
notebooks (both having tabs for all 4 documents) might be a bit
weird.
Paned view is more 'traditional', but then we lose the notebook
possibilities.

By the way Window in Window wouldn't fit at all :-)

Renaud