capplet and applet: how to notify

I have one applet (gswitchit) and I want to move its "properties" dialog
to control panel. I have found out how to write a capplet. It's quite
easy.
Could anyone give me a hint what is the simplest (and correct) way to
notify applet about changed configuration (so applet could reload
config).
Just Unix signals (a-la "kill -HUP":)? I suspect CORBA (or even Bonobo:)
could help but I hope there are simpler ways...

The best solution would be not only notify but also transmit new config
(in order to make "try"/"revert" functionality simpler - restart applet
without saving configuration) - probably, using named pipe?

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Sergey V. Udaltsov