Re: MDI implementation

Niklas Lundell wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I have a question regarding MDIs. Yes I know that this is a hot topic,
> but I really want a MDI system like those in Windows. Note that I don't
> want a MDI system that is composed of several tabs, I want separate
> inner windows.
>
> Well, to the point! When designing such a thing, it would be nice if one
> could emulate the titlebars from the currently set window manager. What
> I am trying to say is that would be nice if the titlebar of the inner
> windows reassemble those found on real toplevel windows, which in turn
> depends on the currently selected window manager. Moreover, if the
> window manager changes or if a new theme is selected the MDI application
> should change its interface as well.
>
> Do there exist any API to do this? If not, is there any plan on
> implementing one?
>
> All suggestions, points, etc are welcome...
>
> Regards Niklas

This was recently discussed on this list, archives are available at
[http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/archives/gnome-devel-list/2000-March/].
The basic summary is this:

1. A version which does not work with WMs exists in gnome-libs
   2.0, but caused controversy and is apparently under suspension
   pending review.
2. People request it occasionally.
3. I don't like it. :-)
4. To do it "right" (or at least as "right" as WiW MDI can ever be),
   it requres the support of the WM.
5. Several WM authors have apparently refused to implement such
   a feature because they don't like it either.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill