Re: Missing parts of desktop

On 3 Aug 2000, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Lauris Kaplinski <lauris@helixcode.com> writes:
> >
> > I think somebody (somewhere, sometimes) should sit down and write down
> > outlines of bigger GNOME desktop that the one we currently have.
> >
> > What bothers me, is lack of some essential libraries:
> > - audio, especially MIDI & similar
>
> People are working on this, the problem is that there is no clear
> technical choice yet.

Well there is gnome-media & similar. The problem being, that these were
meant to be extremely complex streaming media management frameworks. Wile
nice, it will take a long time to go out with usable thing...

What I would like to see, is decision: libMikMod is official part of gnome
- so it will be distributed and updated with gnome.

> > - gaming graphics (3D and 2D animation etc.)
> >

> I don't know if we want to go here, unless we have someone in the
> project that really works on this stuff. If we don't write games and
> don't have anyone that does, our declaring something "part of GNOME"
> isn't going to do anything...

I see a chicken and egg problem.

I have myself wanted several times to write some little toy for gnome -
and surely there are more people. So I ended with writing libfloyd library
to support it - but it was happy occasion that I had time for it. Most
people surely don't have, so many projects die in their heads.

Lauris