Re: Missing parts of desktop

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:

> Possibly. But it can take years to develop. And although we have
> something to output sampled sounds, the situation with MIDI (or
> whatever other music format) is much worse.

For media manipulation in general (which would include MIDI playback), I'm
sure Gene would like help with GMF.

In general, I really disagree with your idea of having to name "official"
pieces for GNOME. We are a project to help the general community make
advances on the end-user front, not a project to start making sweeping
suggestions of what people should/should not use just because we have a
little recognition in one area. I think the as-needed adoption of things
like SDL (which I consider the "right" solution for games, although many
good ones exist) is proof that no meddling is needed from the Gnome
project.

(Do not interpret this as discouraging you from implementing a solution to
a problem you see :)
-- Elliot
The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8 meters per second per second.