Re: Why GTK+ vs. GNOME?

* Sean Middleditch (sean.middleditch@iname.com) wrote at 18:15 on 11/08/00:

> Franck Martin wrote:
>
> > 1)gtk is nearly stable on windows, and there are work to port it on BeOs and
> > OS/2 I think.
>
> I see.  I haven't kept up-to-date on that (i have no other OS's around except
> Windows, which I don't use for anything useful anymore, just a handful of game
> WINE can't handle yet...)
>
> > 2)Some of the gnome libraries are related to display things on the screen,
> > which gives applications a nice look. I think this part should be in GTK
> > while drag and drop, bonobo,.. should stay in gnome. I tried to convert a
> > gnome application created with glade to a gtk strict application. And I
> > found out that I had to remove half of the Gnome GUI (buttons, menus,...) to
> > recreate it manualy in GTK. I think this is the problem: the gnomeUI library
> > should be a GTK library.
>
> That makes sense.  Perhaps not part of GTK, since GTK is obviously useable on
> its own, but an extension or whatnot.  Enhanced GTK+ (although Enhanced ant the
> + are a bit deundant, and ++ would sound like C++ wrapper).  Ah well.  Not my
> call.  ~,^

Okay - so you are saying we should just rename libgnomeui.so to
libenhancedgtk.so ??? I don't get it

Why should the gnomeUI library be a GTK library? The gnomeUI library comes
from the GNOME project and is part of the GNOME project?

Why is there this 'mentality' that if it comes from GNOME it is:
A) Bloated
B) Shouldn't be linked to
C) Should be moved to Gtk+

There is stuff that actually /makes sense/ to move into Gtk+, but not
EVERYTHING. Otherwise people call Gtk+ bloated (rightfully so).

> > 3)KDE runs on Windows, which is why people think about KDE. You then reach
> > 95% of the market. wxWindows is following the same principle it allows to
> > code for Gnome and Windows. So Why not have this possibility directly in
> > Gnome... I'm curious to see how StarOffice will be ported to gtk/gnome and
> > still run on windows, OS/2 and MacOS...
>
> I had no idea KDE runs on Windows... Qt, yes, but I didn't think all of KDE ran
> on it.  That's actually kind of impressive.  The people have been busy.
>
> Not to sound demeaning, but it sorta seems like KDE team works faster than the
> GNOME team.  Perhaps they have more members, or maybe it's just because most of
> the GNOME work is behind-the-scenes stuff right now?  Either way, I'm still
> more imporessed with GNOME development.  For more innovative.  ~,^

Running GNOME on windows has not been a goal of the GNOME project. I haven't
met/heard of any GNOME hacker 'interested' in  working on such a project. And
if the hackers are not interested in working on it, surely you can't force
them (it doesn't scratch their itch!). Of course if somebody wants to work on
porting GNOME to windows - nothing is stopping them. The source of all the
GNOME stuff is under the GNU GPL or LGPL. There are no restrictions on
porting to Windows. Feel free to do it...Oh wait - I get it, you want somebody
else to do the work for you.