Re: patches and responses...

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 05:57:42PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> So my suggestion is to set up a cron job that mails the people listed
> as authors of gnome-terminal once per week. Seriously.

er, i just want to submit a few lines of code, i don't want to spam
people.  can i quote you on this?

wait, this is silly,

i think that's a very sorry state of affairs.  i don't want to rile people
up, but i'm hearing from more than a few people that gnome development
is very cliquish and closed.  that doesn't bode well for the project.
when i went to uni i mainly used bsd boxen and after uni dug about and
finally found freebsd.

but linux had two things it seemed that bsd lacked.  the first wasn't
in dispute: a driver i needed for the hw i was using.  the next was
that core seemed very, very closed while linux seemed very, very open.
gnome appears closed and i don't think that's a good thing.

the people in a project **cannot** be held responsible for what
newcomers to a project feel.  i'm not sending this message to abuse
people, i'm offering a perspective that gnome developers might not
be able to acquire for themselves.  i use gnome and like the work.
i'm even planning on contributing, but i can't contribute to something
if i don't get feedback and if what i submit doesn't even get looked at.
in that scenario there's no difference between submitting code and not
submitting code bar a few interrupts from some network cards and disks.
and since my bathing habits don't really come into play online, if
my patches are being dropped, what about other peoples?  if i go back
through the gnome dev archives am i going to find a fully functional
but non-included web browser that doesn't suck?

i'm not expecting a party in my honor.  for those of you using mutt
the following is acceptable: rino.\n^[:wqy or s/no/ok/.  there's a
lot to be done on gnome and many hands *can* make light work.  but
they have to be used when offered.  and give feedback.  which is better,
a plain joystick or one with force-feedback?

channel the joystick!

kevin

--
kevin@suberic.net        perl -e 'print(map{chr($a+=$_)}(119,-18,7,0,-64,-12,
fork()'ed on 37058400    79,-1,-2,13,-89,83,-4,-2,-8,15,-11,4,-8,14,-105))'
 >> want privacy? www.gnupg.org or www.pgp.com.  encrypted mail preferred <<

PGP signature