Re: Decoupling GNOME Office?

Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> On 27 Aug 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

> > Most release coordination issues will be hashed out mainly on
> > gnome-1.4-list, but this is an issue of broader interest.
> >
> > Many people have talked about decoupling the release of GNOME Office
> > from GNOME itself. I propose we implement this starting with the GNOME
> > 1.4 release.
> >
> > A bit after GNOME 1.4, we'd release GNOME Office 1.4, including
> > gnumeric, dia, and whatever other apps want to provide versions for it
> > (gnucash? AbiWord? achtung? Maybe some OpenOffice components will be
> > ready? Maybe the gimp folks want to include a version?)
> >

> Abiword will attempt to get integrated into  bonobo both as a container
> and as an embedable component over the next few months. Is there a
> guess for when bonobo will be ready for prime-time?

Martin,

Bonobo will become a stable part of the GNOME 1 platform when GNOME
1.4 is released, probably in late October by current estimates. And
Bonobo is ready for development purposes now.

Howver, Bonobization is not a prerequisite for an app to be part of
GNOME Office. If you'd like to proposeadding AbiWord to GNOME Office
1.4 (or GNOME 1.4 if people don't like my proposal to decouple GNOME
Office), please make a proposal in the same format as the ones I made.

 - Maciej