Re: Are CORBA interfaces immutable?????

Ron Jones <ronjones@xnet.com> writes:

> Although Martijn claims that nothing uses or implements the interface,
> this is not really true-- I had written an app and a server that uses and
> implements Desktop::Editor as part of my source code browser. I feel I can
> not release this until this issue is resolved, so this is not a purely
> theoretical question.
>
> Of course, for a truly open development project, there is some ambiguity
> about what "published" means. When does an interface get set in stone? I
> would suggest that it is when it is included as part of a "stable" package.
> Like gnome-libs. So if Martijn wants to redefine the interface, it should
> be renamed (the module or the interface). Comments?

A valid issue we need to resolve.

It may be that the immutable thing is the name of the OAFIID (the name
you use to obtain the interface from OAF). I don't remember the Gnorba
equivalent. But you can't actually obtain an interface by the name
"Desktop::Editor" with our new activation setup (OAF). Instead you
obtain a name such as "OAFIID:Desktop::Editor:19991118" where the date
would change if the interface did.

I'm not an expert, just a thought on the matter though.

Havoc