Re: Decoupling GNOME Office?

Sri Ramkrishna <sri@aracnet.com> writes:

> Support the one that advances Free Software.  If both are good feature for
> feature then select the one that is modular and allows code
> re-use.  Basically, support the one that fits the vision of what GNOME
> wants to be.
>
> What will probably happen is that features that are missing in each word
> processor would be implemented in the other until you get two software
> projects that are almost identically except that the approach is
> different.  Perhaps, the competition will be good for both.  You have
> three word processing programs out there now, kword, open office, and
> abiword.  Lets see what happens.

Let's first try to get people to work together, because I think it
will be more valuable. (We already have motivating competition over in
Seattle, no need to add more!) Then if people have different
irreconcilable goals, we can decide to be resigned to multiple
projects. But if we all share the same goal of creating a free word
processor that's a viable alternative to all the users out there using
proprietary solutions today, then we should work together on that
goal...

Havoc