gnome-app-helper shenanigans

In gnome-libs/libgnomeui, the gnome-app, gnome-app-helpers and
gnom-app-utils files are quite badly organised. For instance,

1)
There are 'helper' functions for dealing with GtkToolbars and GtkMenuShells.
The code would have been more clearly organised if these widgets were
subclassed. I guess that didn't happen because no new member data was
required and it seemed easier just to add a few functions. But by adding
functions that act primarily on GTK+ widgets you are effectively adding to
the 'interface' of those widgets. C allows you to quietly step outside of
the GtkObject system like this, but language-bindings (in this case Gtk--)
which are centered around the GtkObject system will have to pass your design
flaws on to their users.

2)
If a function argument must be a GtkMenuShell because it uses
GTK_MENUSHELL() then that argument should be a GtkMenuShell*, not a
GtkWidget*. The idea of an interface is that you don't have to look at the
implementation.

Are there any plans to clean up the gnome-app* stuff, and will you accept
patches if I do it for you? Bear in mind that I would create new widgets
just for the purpose of organising the code.

Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net
www.murrayc.com