Re: Decoupling GNOME Office?

* Havoc Pennington (hp@redhat.com) wrote at 18:18 on 31/08/00:

> Andy Tai <atai@ece.ucsd.edu> writes:
> > GNOME Office should have room for more than one program of the same type.
> > So for example AbiWord and StarOffice word processor can be both part of
> > GNOME Office.
> >

> Unless there is some rational reason to have two I don't see the point
> of that. We might say "we haven't decided yet" for a while or
> something, but at some point we need to focus on and ship a single
> word processor. IMHO only, there is no dictate from on high about
> this.

Abiword is more of a 'text editor' while StarOffice is word processor is a
word processor.

For example, Microsoft provide three 'text editing' tools - NotePad(very
lightweight), Write (kind of like AbiWord), and Microsoft Word.

I do not think it would be bad to include both AbiWord and StarOffice word
processor. But it wouldn't make much sense to include gnumeric and the
StarOffice spreadsheet program.

Regards,
Ali