Re: Gnome-media

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 07:14:21PM +0000, Darragh O'brien - Sun Microsystems Ireland - Desktop Applications Do100715 Middleware - Software Engineer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've completed a cursory and subjective analysis of grecord and
> below is what I've found. It might be easier to rewrite the
> application or replace it with another rather than try to fix it
> e.g. when playing/recording a file it currently forks and the stop
> callback sends a kill signal to the child, rather heavy handed?!

There are a couple of potential apps to replace grecord, sweep and gnoise.
Maybe they can merge?  Gnoise has some UI wierdness and both would need
to be gnomified. (I think)

<snip file formats>

This appears to be libaudiofile territory.

Sometimes wavs created with, for instance aube, linked to libaudiofile will not play
on in Windows.  Sometimes files converted with sox fail to play in Windows also.

> 2. The progress bar indicator is broken - it either doesn't move or
> its movement is jerky.

Same here, most of the time it doesn't move.

<snip>

> Should a replacement be chosen, maybe it shouldn't be Esound reliant?
> I find the sampling frequency convertor in the latter to introduce a
> lot of noise. Users should have the right to listen to audio without
> distortion! Has anyone investigated alternatives to Esound's (linear?)
> interpolation such as band limited interpolation?

Wouldn't the replacement have to use esd? (Well until esd is replaced, if ever.)
But what if users want distortion? But this computer goes to eleven.

I agree that audio needs to be improved. The only alternative I've heard about
is arts, which someone wrote for KDE and GNOME.

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.