Re: listening ports

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 06:05:21PM -0500, nrvale0@pop.uky.edu wrote:

>   I noticed that there are lots of LISTENing open ports up in the 2100's
> that are listed by lsof -i as belonging to GNOME apps. For instance:
>
>   At least from a diving into the code perspective, I'm pretty ignorant as to
> what is going on under the hood in GNOME so could someone who knows a little more
> comment on why these apps are listening and what security concerns that might
> present? Might it be a good idea to setup a GNOME-security list and test such
> things?

I would guess that these open ports have something to do with orbit.  This
uses tcpwrappers, so mess with /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny if you
are afraid.

--
     Ben Collver -- collver@mad.scientist.com -- LC#159179 ICQ#15455379
     GPG (PGP) key available from http://www.dnc.net/users/collver/gpg.txt