listening ports

>I would guess that these open ports have something to do with orbit. This
>uses tcpwrappers, so mess with /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny if you
>are afraid.

  Hmm, but the 2100 ports are ephemeral(sp) and there is no guarantee
that the GNOME applications will be listening on the same ports
the next time I login. So you can't add hosts.deny rules based on
a port number and I'm not sure how you would do so by name.

/etc/hosts.allow
gnome-name-server:127.0.0.1

/etc/hosts.deny
gnome-name-server:ALL

  That may work for gnome-name-server if you added the necessary
entry in /etc/services(or maybe not) but then you would have to
add something for every panel app, correct?

  I'm about to run to class so I don't have time right now to
dive into the GNOME docs, but is this kind of thing mentioned
in the ORBit docs anywhere? Somewhere else?

--
Nathan Valentine - nrvale0@pop.uky.edu 		AIM: NRVesKY
University of Kentucky Linux Users Group