Changing Mouse Button Mapping in GNOME

Hi,

 people complained about my gerk applet (a rather trivial mouse button
 mapper for one-button mice, http://www.buggerz.com/gerk/) not working.

 It seems that the call to X[S|G]etPointerMapping() is ignored when
using
 a USB mouse - this also means that the right hand vs. left hand toggler
 in the GNOME control center doesn't work.

 Are any X experts around who have an insight in this kind of problem?
 Is there a workaround that might be used in my applet and in gnomecc?

 i've attached a simple program which demonstrates the mapping (gcc -o
pointer_map     pointer_map.c `gtk-config --cflags --libs`)

 thanks for your time.

 Fritz

pointer_map.c.gz