Re:Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

 Hi,

 I am not en expert at these things, nut I think that the ones who really care
about that kind of stuff are people who use Linux/Gnome on a single machine at
home or maybe two, the other being some version of Windows.

 So really, even though this would be fine, I don't think one should expect all
possible file opening protocols to be supported.

 An application might use scp to bring on a file (temporarly) and open it, or it
might be ftp, or http or uucp or rsh or telnet/setenv DISPLAY or ......

 The whole idea however should be that this must be handled by the given app.
 If I am opening a file remotely somehow then register that file as having a
special mime-type like file/x-remote-text that will be handled by the owning
app.

  The opening app (mime program) should have registered all necessary info on
how to get this file.

  Eg(imaginary): I am planning on allowing people to run something remotely
(rsh), opening a file there and dumping results elsewhere. User X views those
files using my app (I use scp, dump it in /tmp as some crazy name and open the
local gnumeric to show bonobo components located on another machine ... itself
mounting the said filesystem using NFS, the last said machine needing to gather
its pieces (/etc/rc.d/*) from 500 other subnets using 1000 different protocols )
Well dump the file name in recently accessed files with a special flag ( a
symbolic link to an app created .ini type file or whatever that launches the
correct procedure to open that file and look at it). In other words, this must
be handled by the app. Dump some intelligent name and link this to some .ini or
.rc file that knows what to do!