Re: gnome-session

The problem with a complete rewrite (or even a near complete rewrite)
is that I am working on gsm as part of an somewhat understaffed
project to get GNOME working in the Athena environment. gsm is just
one of the things causing trouble for us, and we have a target
completion date of August 1. At this point I don't have time to take
on a complete rewrite of gsm.

I spent yesterday hacking in the ability to turn session management
off and only use the unmanaged programs list. Apart from a bunch of
newly exposed bygs in other stuff, it is done. This is probably all I
am going to do for now, as it is enough to get us through usability
testing. If you are interested in this patch let me know, otherwise we
will keep it local.

However, I would be more than happy to work on it beginning in late
august or september depending on how well the rest of the Athena User
Interface project goes. I expect that the special needs of Athena
(user sessions will be expected to work on 3 or 4 different OS's all
running GNOME) mean that unless gsm is written here it will not do
what we need.

When is gnome-core expected to branch for 2.0, or do people not plan
that far ahead? Presumably I would need to get a protocol change into
2.0, rather than a patch release.

tibbetts

-*- http://www.mit.edu/~tibbetts -*- finger tibbetts@monk.mit.edu -*-