Re: FYI: Mac OS X Desktop

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 12:00:26PM -0700, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> My immediate reaction when I saw the effects (after laughing my head off)
> was that there's no way this side of a frozen over hell that X can even
> attempt that right now.

I think everyone agrees: X sucks. So, how about Berlin?

>From what I've read on the Berlin site, it is going to REALLY kick ass.

I believe they already have Alpha-transparency. Take a look at this screen
shot: http://www.berlin-consortium.org/images/screenshots/terminal.png

They use CORBA for interaction with the server.

All widgets are built into the server, so GTK will fall away. Everything
will be totally themeable though and someone will probably write a GTK
abstraction-layer to ease porting. All windows will look the same: no more
different-looking motif, GTK and QT widgets.

Anyone have an idea of how far Berlin is?

--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....