newbie develper questions...

All,

Firstly, thank you in advance for your patience!!

I am trying to upgrade to gnome 1.2 as I want to get involved with
developing gnome/gnome office. I thought I would do it the interesting way
and download all of the source and compile it etc etc.

Firstly, is 1.2 supposed to be a stable version (I downloaded from the
stable directories on ftp.gnome.org so i thought it was)? I had several
problems making/compiling. Is there a list of known issues/workarounds for
this version???

Would people advise I just download the RPMS and take it from there?

Any advice is greatfully appreciated.

I am running RH6.0 if it makes any difference....

Mnay thanks,

Simon