Re: [Gnome-print] Re: GnomeFont state of affairs

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 09:06:19PM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> It remains that making GNOME work at its best on GNU must be our priority. The
> other OS's have to remain secondary targets.

As soon as you mention the word "secondary", then you also have to answer
whether or not this will be done in an active or passive way.  Work to
produce portable (in every sense of the word) code, and everyone wins,
since "non-GNU" people are also able to help in debugging, testing etc.

Specifically targetting things to work at their best "on GNU" (whatever
that is.. I don't see an entire cohesive operating system that can
simply be called "GNU"), _at_the_expense_of_other_environments_ is
a lose-lose situation, and one to be avoided at all costs.

Think about it..  if you want to convert someone to "GNU", but all the
have is <insert-OS-here> boxes, but you have the capability to run GNOME
on <insert-OS-here> in an identical manner, then you stand a better
chance of converting them elsewhere.  Or, at least the playing field
will be level, with "GNU" vs <insert-OS-here>, since GNOME is the same.

If you want something to succeed.  Make it work.
If you want something to succeed everywhere.  Make it work everywhere.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.