Detecting if GNOME is OK

Hi,
  I have a program I am porting to Gnome and it needs to test if it is
possible to start up as a Gnome app and if not fall back to text mode.
The test needs to be non-destructive and preferably not noticable to the
user.

Ive tried gnome_init and then gnome_app_new, but gnome_init seems to fail
and exit the program rather than return an error flag.

Suggestions?

Dave

--
 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running GNU/Linux on       |  Happy  \