System configuration...

Hello everybody!

I have been thinking about the "configuration problem" with linux/unix
systems. There are some basic problems as I see it:

1. There are too many types of configuration files.
2. There ar no easy way to write gui apps for configuring different
apsects of linux/unix system.
3. Security is not handled in a common central manner.

I would like to address these problems by developing a library that can be
used in server daemons as well as in a Gnome/KDE application. I have seen
that someone has started something called GConf. perhaps that is a part in
whats needed but I miss some features in the GConf library ( as it is
described in http://developer.gnome.org/feature/current/index.html ..

Is there any interest in develop a general configuration and security
library. The security library i meant to be a tool that verifies user
access to different objects in the system. A such object can be the
ability to edit the user list, acces the FTP server, or ....

I think that this is not too complicated and can be done relatively easy.
One goal is allso to provide a easy way to write GUIs..

//Mats Loman