Re: Media Library, pt. 2

> > What I think you mean is that we use C++ as a back-end and then wrap it
up
> > in CORBA. However, I'm very afraid that we will get a lot of BeOS code
that
> > cannot be used under Gnome, and vica-verca.
>
> If it's going to be part of Gnome libs, we'll need a C interface.
> OpenGL and OpenAL are in C.

Or a CORBA interface... :)

> > problem - if they have COM or DCOM, damn - if they don't have any,
they're
> > like KDE (on their way to extinction :)
>
> (offtopic note: I thought KDE was using Corba for this?!)

I heard a rumor at GUADEC that KDE have just scrapped their component model.

But what are they using? (or trying to use).

> > > As an aside, if this project needs any net-type resources (web space,
> > > email forwarding, web design, etc), inter/open would be happy to
provide
> > > them/host the project - whatever's required.
>
> I too have a server sitting on a T1, but SourceForge would
> probably be better; they have a full development set of software, complete
> with mailing lists, user administration, domain hosting, etc.  Not to
> mention professional, full-time *free* admins, backup systems, and
> serious-ass bandwidth.  Everything you need for a collaborative project :)
>
> So I guess the next step is to get serious about forming a
> consortium.

What exactly is the definition of 'consortium' ? Do we want one ?

Also, lets use theese next few days to wait for the BeOS reply, and do some
brainstorming.

> TO-DO:
> ------
>
> 1) Decide on a name.  Personally, if we can have an OpenGL-like API for
> this (as Loki has done with their superb OpenAL library), then I'd like to
> go with "OpenML" in the hopes that people will think of it as the "OpenGL
> of media programming".  It could also encourage support from SGI.

There is a programming language called ML. Also, just because we are an
open-source-project doesn't mean we should neccessarily have an the word
'open' in our title...

> I'd be willing to pay a domain registration fee.  "openml.org" is
> available, "openmedia.org" is not, "openx.org" is not,
> "openmediaconsortium.org" is available.
>
> 2) Legal issues.  How, legally speaking, is a "Consortium" defined?  Do we
> need to register with the IRS (here in the U.S.?)  What paperwork is
> necessary?  Who will pay for the lawyers? :)
>
> 3) Find out who is interested in this.  This means
>
> a) Deciding who here will act as the consortium's official contact
> person, to call up SGI, Apple, Loki, etc. and inquire about interest
>
> b) Obtain a list of contacts at the different companies.  We will
> want to inquire about corporate sponsorships as well as technical
> implementation issues
>
> 4) Technical design issues: I, personally, have no experience with a media
> architecture.  I don't know where Corba would go, or how much of our API
> would depend on the different Codecs, or what level (hardware wise, and
> such) the API should operate at.
I have a nice overview of things.

> Could this API be used to control DVD players?
The question is not whether is could... The question is whether is should.

> Video tapes?  DATs?  3dfx-accelerated cards?  Etc.  I guess this
> to-do item boils down to finding experienced people.  Be can really help
> out with this.

I have 5 yrs. experience with C++, 6 mths experience with Media Programming,
and I run a small film production house.

> 5) Sourceforge site and web design, along with dedicated mailing lists.
> Given SourceForge's intense list of features, I think they should host our
> site.  Also, we need somebody with Gimp experience to design the site.
Depends. If we want to make it a part of Gnome-Libs, then perhaps we should
try to get a place on the Gnome website / gnome CVS. We might be able to de
better evangelization from that position...

> I can help out with number 5, but I'll first need a name for the
> consortium (see #1 :).  I can do the graphics and HTML work and register
> the project with SourceForge.  After the site is set up, my time for this
> project would be limited to 4 hours per week (for the next few months, at
> least).

My limit is 20 hrs/week. (although knowing me, it will more likely be 50 :)
Nicholas