Re: GStreamer for Media Library

Hello,

I am coauthor of GDAM, a sound editing program.

When writing gdam, we cycled through many frameworks,
one using threads (pthreads) and two client/server architectures.

The way it is now, that we are quite pleased with, is a
client/server all in C, written with just the facilities
gtk/glib provide.  (er except libglade and libxml now...)

We looked at/tried briefly gstreamer, but I was unable to
make a satifactory mixer in it.  [basically the sources
weren't able to block for input, which i needed].  Perhaps
gmf suffices, perhaps not, I found it rather confusing,
at the time it was pretty minimal and I certainly didn't
want to be the guinea pig there...

In any event, I wrote my own, and that was fun.
And I believe no library of this depth could completely
satisfy everyone ... what are really needed, are a clear
CORBA interface that everyone can comply to / use.

The rest is a bunch of details no one will agree on.

I think I'll get back out of this now :)

Thanks for listening,
Dave