Re: Intro to GNOME and the FSF

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > First is confusing the marketing and business types who do not
> > understand Unix as it stands now, potentially leading them to believe
> > that GNOME will not work on non-Linux Unix systems -- when dealing with
> > business types, it is helpful to remember that if there is a stupid road
> > that a presentation can be mentally taken down, chances are at least a
> > few in the audience will take the presentation down that road.
>
> Dude.  GNOME is not about "Marketing" or promoting "Alternatives to
> Windows".
>
> GNOME is about free software, and it is an integral part of the GNU
> project.  I am not quite sure where you got a different impression.
>
> Whether a user is confused or not about GNU, is completely
> irrelevant.   It is then a good chance to educate users and tell them
> why free software is important, and why freedom is important.
>
> Miguel.

All I was meant was that I think GNOME's people, time, and money should
promote GNOME as a desktop environment and part of the GNU project (in
that order), and not promote *JUST* GNU. After I saw how spartan and
unsupported the GNOME booth was at Comdex/Chicago (compared to, say,
Gnucash's, which had three people and a demo up and running the when I
was there on the first day), I didn't want to see more resources
diverted away from that kind of thing and on to promoting just GNU/FSF,
which already had it's own booth there. Hopefully that makes sense.

If I was unclear on that, I'm sorry, the discussion got sidetracked from
the *original* message, which, AFAICT, wanted to put links to GNU/FSF
resources in the help browser (which I've said I'm all for). :-)

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill