Document Centricity in GNOME [LONG]

First of all, let me apologize for cross-posting: I'm not really sure
where this belongs. Please direct followups to the appropriate list.

Next, I'm not subscribed to either of the lists, so please keep me in the
CC:.

I've wrote a brain-dump on how GNOME can stay document-centric, while not
falling prey to ILOVEYOU-type bugs.

              How to Stop ILOVEYOU While Staying Document Centric

   Document-centricity is a good thing. It allows users to be more
   productive, because it reduces the cognitive load - a user needn't be
   aware of which application opens the file, and can concentrate on his
   work. However, as seen in the ILOVEYOU virus, document-centricity can
   be a dangerous thing too. Because the user is unaware of which
   application opens the document, and because the application is unaware
   of the document (possibly) dangerous origins, a situation in which it
   executes malicious code might occur. The way to stop this problem is:
   Do not use file-association -- make the user aware which application
   is used. The user should consult with the application documentation to
   check whether it is safe to open documents of unknown origins with it.

   Of course, the solution is much less user-friendly then the
   alternative. Here is a different way to solve it, while remaining
   document-centric, with a low (but nevertheless existant) price for
   usability, but with much increased security.

   In addition to the file-association for the "Open" action, have a
   file-association for the "Open Safely" action. For many programs, it
   can be the association for both (Electric Eyes, MP3 players, etc.).
   For other types, there will be no "Open Safely" (Perl scripts,
   executables). A third category will be those with a different "Open
   Safely" action (Tcl's Safe Tcl, Java's sandbox, etc.). When an
   application installs (for example, via an RPM file), it should install
   itself to the "Open" and "Open Safely" as appropriate. Of course, it
   could consult a security setting to see if it should be installed in
   "Open Safely" (e.g., Safe Tcl might be all right if the security is
   low - high security sites may doubt if Safe Tcl really is safe). A
   system administer can change association system-wide, and a user can
   further override associations, just like other associations.

   Thus, the user is in control, but he is given a sensible default so
   the naive user will find it slightly harder to shoot himself in the
   foot.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html