Re: gnome 1.2 and shared memory...

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know what changed in gnome 1.2 with regard to shared memory. I
> noticed that every gnome application I start adds 6 entries in the (shared
> memory) list given by ipcs. Moreover, I'm soon getting messages about shmget
> failing. From that point, some apps start behaving wierdly. I'd like to know
> whether that's a bug, a feature, or something I missed. Any know fix?

That would be from the gdkrgb code (used by gdk-pixbuf).  Quoting from
gtk+/gdk/gdkrgb.c:
  #define N_IMAGES 6

GdkRGB tries to create the fastest GdkImage for transfering data to the X
server.  For programs running on the same machine, this is shared memory
images.

If possible, it is probably best to increase the limit on the number of
shared memory segments allowed on your system.

> Thanks,
>
> 	Jean-Marc Valin

James.

--