Re: Several comments on panel, nautilus and evolution

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, [iso-8859-1] Erik Bågfors wrote:
: On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 11:25:54AM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
: >
: > I can't speak for Nautilus, but in Evolution, that's not a bug, that's
: > a feature. Dotfiles are hidden, which is fine for config files and
: > other things that you want to make non-obvious. But the "evolution"
: > directory is used to store all of the user's local mail, contacts,
: > appointments, etc, which is user data, not configuration. You don't
: > want to hide the user's mail from him.
:
: The way I see it this is not the way it should be.
:
: Hidden directories should be for things that you don't normaly work (poke
: around) with.
: Evolution will do most the work in the evolution-directory and you don't
: want to mess with it alot outside of evolution. Therefore it should be a
: hidden dir.

Maybe the way you do your mail. I'm doing stuff in my mail/ directory all
the time. Scripts, grep, etc.

: .netscape/bookmarks.html is another example of a file that is not a
: config-file but since only netscape should need to care about it, it's
: hidden.

The complexity and significance of the bookmark page is a couple orders of
magnitude less (to me) than the complexity and significance of my mail.

I can't speak for everyone but for myself and my coworkers mail is a
lifeblood. I want it where I can see it.

You can come back with the "power user vs. novice user" argument but I
don't think having a directory called Evolution/ is going to kill the
novice user. It might even help him learn a couple things.

--
http://web.systhug.com/
"We're getting dangerously close to real world computer science here, so