Re: Running remote Gnome programs - problems with SSH

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 05:15:09PM +0100, Ian Campbell <ijc25 cam ac uk> said

> My understanding is that there should only be one name service running per
> session/display. The name server sets a property on the root window which
> contains the IOR of the name server.

But if the name service is responsible for resolving CORBA stuff, what does
that have to do with X?  ...or is there more that the name service does that
I don't know about (which is quite possible).

> The IOR encodes the host and the port, but I wonder if the fact that you
> are tunneling the X session might make some difference.
> DISPLAY=remotehost:10 on the remote host (for example), at the local end
> DISPLAY=local:0 (or whatever). If you were just using telnet then
> DISPLAY=local:0 at both ends. I don't know what difference this would
> make.

It doesn't make any difference.  You are connecting to the same X server, it
just takes a different path to get there.  To be sure I tested with just
plain ol' telnet, and it still doesn't work.

> I'm really just speculating, since I don't know all that much about these
> things...

Is there someone in the readership that does?

--
Geoffrey Reedy                                       vader21 imsa edu

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
				-- DECWARS