Re: Running remote Gnome programs - problems with SSH

My understanding is that there should only be one name service running per
session/display. The name server sets a property on the root window which
contains the IOR of the name server.

The reason the remote name service exits is that it sees the property on
the root window and decides it doesn't need to run and so exits.

Other apps which are run on the remote host will look at the root property
to get the IOR for the name service (running on the local host), this
allows them to contact the IOR.

The IOR encodes the host and the port, but I wonder if the fact that you
are tunneling the X session might make some difference.
DISPLAY=remotehost:10 on the remote host (for example), at the local end
DISPLAY=local:0 (or whatever). If you were just using telnet then
DISPLAY=local:0 at both ends. I don't know what difference this would
make.

I'm really just speculating, since I don't know all that much about these
things...

Ian