Gnome-Terminal strangeness

The other day I managed to hang my box while testing some new X stuff.
Since then, I have to click twice on my gnome-terminal launcher to get
my first gnome-terminal up (and then once upon it for each additional
gnome-terminal.) And all of my ssh "launchers" that start in gnome-terminals
won't appear, but will connect (via agent.) I should also add that there
is NO stderr durring any of this.

I've rebooted the machine, logged in as root and removed everything from
/tmp, so I know that's not the problem.

Any help appreciated.

-Sam Rowe