unicode

As I understand it gtk+ and gnome is moving towards unicode.

Is there any support functions for unicode planed? I need to check if a
character is a unicode format control character (characters marked Cf by
unicode). It's easy enough for me to take the unicode definition as it is
today and do it myself, but it feels like something many people need.
Also the standard evolves so in the future it might have changed which
also suggest one should have one library handling this.

What is the plan for gnome? Is there any recommended library to use for
unicode issues? As far as I can see pango for example does everything
itself.

glibc have some functions but it's not enough.

--
/Dennis